Building & Development Building & Development

In Queensland, statewide legislation establishes the framework and overarching policy for land use planning.

The new Planning Act 2016 (Planning Act) commenced on 3 July 2017, it establishes a new planning system for the state and replaces the Sustainable Planning Act 2009.

Longreach Regional Council Planning Scheme

A planning scheme is an important tool for guiding future growth and development, within a ten year horizon.  It is council's most important tool for guiding the Region's future growth and development.  The Longreach Regional Council Planning Scheme commenced on 1 June 2015.

For further information regarding the Longreach Regional Council Planning Scheme, please contact Longreach Regional Council on (07) 4658 4111 or click on this link to access the Planning Scheme on Council's publishing portal.


The Planning and Environment Court Appeals Database maintained by the Queensland Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning is an easy way for anyone to obtain information about an appeal or check if an appeal has been lodged for a specific development application or approval.

It lists all appeals lodged in the Planning and Environment Court that the department has been notified of and contains information about the appeal number, site address, local government area and a copy of the appeal notice including the grounds for the appeal.

Residents are encouraged to access the online database as required at:


Development Applications (Planning)

Council assesses development under several application types.  The application type of your development is dependent upon the type of development, overlays, precincts and site area, and affects the amout of approval you are required to seek from council.  The different types of development are listed below:

Material Change of Use (MCU)

A material change of use of premises means:

*  The start of a new use of the premises;

*  The re-establishment on the premises of a use that has been abandonded;

*  A material increase in the intensity or scale of the use of the premises.

Examples: Changing a retail shop into a food and drink outlet, a 30 site caravan park into a 60 site caravan park, vacant lot into an office, shop or industrial use etc.

Operational Works

Activities that alter the shape or form of the land.  Eg. Earthworks (i.e. filling or excavation), vegetation clearing, the placement of advertising signs; and works on council's infrastructure such as roadworks.  Operational works does not include:

* Building work

* Plumbing or Drainage work

Reconfiguring a Lot

Subdividing the land or making changes to the boundaries for example:

* Subdividing one lot into one or more lots;

* Dividing land into parts by agreement;

* Re-aligning the boundary of a lot;

* Creating an access easement.

This form is used to lodge the above applications.

Categories of Development and Assessment

Accepted development

Accepted development allows a person undertaking a development to complete their own assessment.  This type of development does not require a Development Approval from Council.  The development is to be assessed against all the identified accepted outcomes of the applicable codes identified in the assessment benchmarks column and any applicable overlay codes of the planning scheme; and comply with the accepted outcomes of the applicable codes.

Code assessable development

Code assessable development is to be assessed against all the assessment benchmarks identified in the assessment benchmarks column and any applicable overlay codes of the planning scheme; and complies with the purpose and overall outcomes of the code and the performance or acceptable outcomes of the code.  An application is required to be lodged to Council.

Impact assessable development

Impact assessable development is to be assessed against the identified benchmarks in the assessment benchmarks column including zone codes, use codes, overlay codes and strategic framework.  Public notifification is required to be undertaken by the applicant.  An application is required to be lodged to Council.

Development Applications (Building)

Building Work

Development Approvals for Building Work must be obtained before commencing any building work (including renovations, alterations or additions to any building or structure on your property) and for the erection of carports, outdoor areas, gazebos, swimming pools and swimming pool fences, spas, retaining walls, shipping containters and the like.

This form is used to lodge Building Work applications.

Lodgement by a private certifier

Building Applications can be lodged by a Private Certifier. 

Please note: On lodgement of building work documentation and notice that a Private Certifier has been engaged, LRC requires payment of fee including Archival Fee & Building Refuse Charge.

Variation to boundary setback

The boundary setback requirements for erecting a new building on your property is 6m from any road frontage (including back lanes and side roads) and 1.5m from any side boundary.  If you wish to locate a building within these measurements, you are required to complete a Referral Agency Assessment Application Alternative Siting Assessment.  The application will be assessed by Council's Building Certifier who will make a recommendation to Council.  A decision will then be made at a Council meeting.

Certificate of Classification / Change of Classification

Since April 1976, it has been mandatory for a Certificate of Classification to be issued for all new commercial/industrial premises.  Since April 1998, with the introduction of private building certification, a Certificate of Classification is required to be issued whenever a permit has been issued and works have been satisfactorily completed for new, additions or alterations to a commercial/industrial type building.

If you require a certificate of classifcation or change of classification for your property, please complete this Form.