Road Conditions Road Conditions

Reports on local road conditions are generated on an ‘as-needed' basis (e.g. during the wet season and for major road works) and when generated, the latest reports will be posted here under the folder "Road Reports".

Some roads in the region are under the jurisdiction of the Department of Transport and Main Roads. For information on Main Roads' closures, please visit

Roads & Streets Roads & Streets

Council has approximately 2647.2 km of rural roads spread across the Longreach region (40,638 km2) and approximately 94 km of town streets within the 4 townships of Longreach, Ilfracombe, Isisford and Yaraka.

Council advises motorists to take caution on all roads and drive to prevailing conditions. Drivers are urged to show caution when crossing any stormwater on roadways and not to attempt to traverse creeks and other crossings that are clearly under water. Please be aware that potholes may form in road pavements during periods of high rainfall.

Road Works

Roads are subject to deterioration due to traffic and changing weather conditions. Please report any road defects to Council on (07) 4658 4111. If possible, provide the following details when reporting:

  • Is it a hole, crack, bulge or depression?
  • Whereabouts on the road - edge, shoulder, wheel path, centre, runs the width / length of the road?
  • Near which intersection / landmark?
  • How deep? - compared to basketball, cricket ball, car tyre etc.
  • What is the approximate diameter, width / length of the defect?

Rural Road Property Numbers

Rural addressing is a straight-forward method of identifying, locating and addressing properties in rural areas throughout Australia. It provides easy identification and location of properties for emergency and delivery services and visitors. In Queensland, the responsibility for implementing rural addressing lies with local government.

Rural road addressing property numbering is a distance based measurement system that allocates each rural property a unique address based on the distance of the property entrance from the nearest major intersection.  The rural address number is determined by dividing that distance, measured in metres, by ten.

Street Lighting

The majority of streetlight and / or pole maintenance on road reserves and along paths through and around a park is the responsibility of Ergon. You can contact Ergon on 13 22 96 or online at

Lighting under Council responsibility

Council is responsible for arranging the majority of light and pole maintenance for all Rate 3 class lighting (decorative style) installed in the Region. Please contact Council if any of the following lighting requires attention:   

  • On road reserves
  • In parks and reserves
  • Lighting around Council buildings
  • Around parks facilities (e.g. barbeques)

For power lines down or live wires exposed, contact Ergon urgently on 13 22 96