Page Navigation

Planning and Development

In Queensland, state-wide legislation establishes the framework and overarching policy for land use planning.

The new Planning Act 2016 (Planning Act) commenced on 3 July 2017, it establishes a new planning system for the state and replaces the Sustainable Planning Act 2009.

Longreach Regional Council Planning Scheme

A planning scheme is an important tool for guiding future growth and development, within a ten-year horizon. It is Council's most important tool for guiding the Region's future growth and development.  The Longreach Regional Council Planning Scheme commenced on 1 June 2015.

View the Longreach Regional Council Planning Scheme

For further information regarding the Longreach Regional Council Planning Scheme, please contact Longreach Regional Council on (07) 4658 4111.

The Planning and Environment Court Appeals Database maintained by the Queensland Department of State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning is an easy way for anyone to obtain information about an appeal or check if an appeal has been lodged for a specific development application or approval.

It lists all appeals lodged in the Planning and Environment Court that the department has been notified of and contains information about the appeal number, site address, local government area and a copy of the appeal notice including the grounds for the appeal.

Residents are encouraged to access the online database as required.

Development Applications (Planning)

Council assesses development under several application types. The application type of your development is dependent upon the type of development, overlays, precincts and site area, and affects the amount of approval you are required to seek from council. The different types of development are listed below:

Material Change of Use (MCU)

A material change of use of premises means:

  • The start of a new use of the premises;
  • The re-establishment on the premises of a use that has been abandonded;
  • A material increase in the intensity or scale of the use of the premises.

Examples: Changing a retail shop into a food and drink outlet, a 30 site caravan park into a 60 site caravan park, vacant lot into an office, shop or industrial use etc.

Operational Works

Activities that alter the shape or form of the land. Eg. Earthworks (i.e. filling or excavation), vegetation clearing, the placement of advertising signs; and works on council's infrastructure such as roadworks. Operational works does not include:

  • Building work
  • Plumbing or Drainage work

Reconfiguring a Lot

Subdividing the land or making changes to the boundaries for example:

  • Subdividing one lot into one or more lots;
  • Dividing land into parts by agreement;
  • Re-aligning the boundary of a lot;
  • Creating an access easement.

This form is used to lodge the above applications.

Categories of Development and Assessment

Accepted development

Accepted development allows a person undertaking a development to complete their own assessment. This type of development does not require a Development Approval from Council. The development is to be assessed against all the identified accepted outcomes of the applicable codes identified in the assessment benchmarks column and any applicable overlay codes of the planning scheme; and comply with the accepted outcomes of the applicable codes.

Code assessable development

Code assessable development is to be assessed against all the assessment benchmarks identified in the assessment benchmarks column and any applicable overlay codes of the planning scheme; and complies with the purpose and overall outcomes of the code and the performance or acceptable outcomes of the code. An application is required to be lodged to Council.

Impact assessable development

Impact assessable development is to be assessed against the identified benchmarks in the assessment benchmarks column including zone codes, use codes, overlay codes and strategic framework. Public notification is required to be undertaken by the applicant. An application is required to be lodged to Council.

Development Applications (Building)

Building Work

Development Approvals for Building Work must be obtained before commencing any building work (including renovations, alterations or additions to any building or structure on your property) and for the erection of carports, outdoor areas, gazebos, swimming pools and swimming pool fences, spas, retaining walls, shipping containers and the like.

This form is used to lodge Building Work applications.

Lodgement by a private certifier

Building Applications can be lodged by a Private Certifier.

Please note: On lodgement of building work documentation and notice that a Private Certifier has been engaged, LRC requires payment of fee including Archival Fee & Building Refuse Charge.

Variation to boundary setback

The boundary setback requirements for erecting a new building on your property is 6m from any road frontage (including back lanes and side roads) and 1.5m from any side boundary. If you wish to locate a building within these measurements, you are required to complete a Referral Agency Assessment Application Alternative Siting Assessment. The application will be assessed by Council's Building Certifier who will make a recommendation to Council. A decision will then be made at a Council meeting.

Certificate of Classification / Change of Classification

Since April 1976, it has been mandatory for a Certificate of Classification to be issued for all new commercial/industrial premises. Since April 1998, with the introduction of private building certification, a Certificate of Classification is required to be issued whenever a permit has been issued and works have been satisfactorily completed for new, additions or alterations to a commercial/industrial type building.

Complete a certificate of classification or change of classification for your property form.


Drowning is one of the leading causes of death in Queensland for children under five, and compliant pool fencing, along with active supervision and learning to swim, can save lives.

From 1 December 2015, all regulated Queensland swimming pools are required to meet the single swimming pool barrier standard, which has been phased in over the past five years.

Information is available on the Queensland Building and Construction Commission website to help home owners to assess their pools for compliance. Pool owners can also check the website to ensure their pool is registered.

The single standard is designed to increase pool safety and simplify pool safety laws, which previously included 11 different safety standards.

The single standard covers such things as the height and strength of barriers, mandatory non-climbable areas, gate-latching requirements and preventing direct access from a building into a pool area.

The standard applies to new and existing pools in houses, unit complexes, hotels, motels, backpacker accommodation, caravan parks and mobile van parks.

It is the responsibility of all pool owners to ensure their pools comply with the standard by 1 December, or earlier if the property is sold or leased.

For non-compliance with the pool safety standard, there is an on-the-spot fine of $824.60 for individuals and $2,356 for companies. The maximum penalty a court can impose is $19,437.

Penalties for failing to register a pool include an on-the-spot fine of $235.60 for individuals or $706.80 for companies. The court can impose a maximum penalty of $2,356. Pool owners were required to register their pools by November 2011.

Pool Fence Flyer

Pool Safety Compliance FAQ's

Request for Pool Barrier Inspection Form

Contact: For all enquiries, contact Council on (07) 4658 4111 or email assist@longreach.qld.gov.au

Pools and Pool Safety Laws

Longreach Regional Council urges pool owners to adhere to Pool safety laws. Pool safety laws are necessary to keep young children safe and save lives. Owners of regulated pools in Queensland must ensure their pool barrier complies with the pool safety standard. If your portable pool or spa can hold at least 300mm of water, then the pool safety laws apply.

All pools in Queensland must be registered. To list your pool on the pool safety register, visit Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC).

A pool safety certificate, issued by a licenced pool safety inspector, is required when selling or leasing a property with a pool. If leasing your home, a pool safety certificate must be obtained before entering a lease.

Longreach Regional Council has a licensed Pool Safety Inspector, who will be able to assist with any pool enquiries and can conduct pool safety inspections. Contact Council on (07) 4658 4111 to arrange an inspection.

For more information and helpful pool compliance checklists visit the QBCC website.


There are a number of laws and regulations which govern plumbing and drainage work in Queensland. If you are proposing to undertake plumbing or drainage work in the Longreach Region, you may need to gain development approval from Council and should contact the main office in the first instance on (07) 4658 4111.

Further information about Queensland's plumbing laws and codes, notifiable works, licensing and applications, sub-metering, greywater use, on-site sewerage and more can be found on the Queensland Department of Housing and Public Works website

Permits and Licenses

Longreach Regional Council is committed to maintaining the health of our environment and our quality of life. Each day our environmental health officer plans, coordinates and implements strategies to minimise adverse environmental and health impacts within our region, protecting residents, businesses and visitors.

The role of the Environmental Health Officer (EHO) is to provide a professional service that will maximise environmental and public health within a community environment by preventing and remedying health and environmental related hazards and risks.

The projects our Environmental Health Officer works on include monitoring and responding to air, noise and water pollution and pest species outbreaks, risk and emergency management, delivering quality public health services and auditing local businesses to identify health and environmental impacts, particularly the following:-

  • Food – cafes and restaurants, food trucks, market stalls, footpath dining, food safety training;
  • Pollution – air, noise and water pollution;
  • Health – asbestos, mosquitoes, rats and mice;
  • Personal Appearance – beauty, hairdressing, tattooing, body piercing and nail salons;
  • Tourism – camping and caravan parks;
  • Leisure – events, venues, busking and filming;
  • Waste – illegal dumping and littering;
  • Other business – advertising signs, home based business activities and roadside (itinerant) vending.

For further information, you may contact Council’s Environmental Health Officer on (07) 4658 4111.