Refer to Map for collection days in your street.
Ilfracombe & Isisford
Council will empty one 240 litre wheelie bin from the kerbside in front of each property in the defined waste collection area based on the collection schedule. Additional bins are available from Council at a cost of $133.90. Only rubbish in the Council-provided bins will be collected.
Residents are requested to place their bin on the kerbside with the wheels facing toward their house on the morning of or night before collection day and to remove their bins from the street as soon as possible after collection.
Items that should not be placed in a wheelie bin include:
- hot ashes
- unwrapped vacuum dust
- paints and solvents
- timber and building materials
Broken Wheelie Bin
If your wheelie bin is broken due to fair wear & tear or has been broken in the rubbish collection process, please contact Council so that we can arrange a replacement. Charges may apply.
Council has an oil recycling facility in Longreach at Kite Street (near Council Depot).
Oil is a trackable waste - any person disposing of oil at the facility must provide Council with details of what is being disposed of and the time of disposal. Please contact Council's Environmental Health Officer for further details. There is no charge for this disposal service.
Council has a cooperative arrangement with Drumuster - a company that caters for collection and recycling of empty, cleaned, non-returnable crop production and on-farm animal health chemical containers. This aims to reduce waste at the source and reduce the weight of packaging going to landfill. The local Drum Muster site is located in Longreach at the Council Depot, Kite Street. Deliveries accepted by prior arrangement only - please contact Council to arrange an appointment. There is no charge for this disposal service.
All Council’s facilities are licenced under the Environmental Protection Act 1994 and are licenced to accept general waste and limited regulated waste.
From Monday, 11 May 2015 PROTERRA Group will begin operating the Longreach Waste Disposal Facility. The facility will be open to all users between 7:30am and 5:30pm, seven days per week, excluding certain public holidays (Good Friday, Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Years Day).
Council respectfully request users to follow the directions of staff; they are here to assist you and to keep the landfill operating as efficiently and effectively as possible. Staff are authorised to request Police assistance if necessary.
The main points for the community are:
- The facility will continue to accept general household waste, scrap metal, whitegoods, green waste, timber, construction and demolition waste, waste tyres, asbestos, lead acid batteries, clean paper and cardboard.
- Disposal of waste tyres and asbestos waste are by appointment only. Disposal of waste tyres and asbestos will be restricted to a certain day and time each week (TBA).
- There will be no new waste disposal charges. The existing disposal fees for asbestos and waste tyres still apply. See below for 2017-2018 waste charges.
- PROTERRA will trial a dump shop’ for interested dump users. The level of interest will determine if this continues after the trial period.
- PROTERRA will support existing community recycling schemes and will ensure there is a drop off’ point for aluminium cans for the Longreach Scouts and a collection point for used lead acid batteries for the Longreach State School P and C fundraising. Please support these community initiatives. PROTERRA are open to new recycling/reuse initiatives from local community groups.
- Clean cardboard and paper will be incinerated daily during favourable weather conditions. Please separate clean paper and cardboard for disposal in the designated area.
- If dump users find items (aside from ‘dump shop’ items) they would like to reuse, please ask permission from PROTERRA staff before these items are removed from site. Depending on the item(s), a small fee may apply. There are items that are not permitted to be removed off site, please see the list below.
Prohibited items not accepted for disposal:
- Waste mineral oil - Waste oil facility located at Council depot, Kite Street, Longreach by appointment only.
- Waste cooking oil - Contact ‘Outback Vac’ for collection - $5.00 per 20 litre container of used oil to fundraise for the Lions Club of Longreach. Desert Channels Queensland also collect waste cooking oil for weed control activities - please call (07) 4658 0600.
- Dead animals - Dead animal pit located at Longreach Saleyards. To arrange access contact the Saleyards Manager on (07) 4658 4111.
- Empty chemical containers - Drumuster collection point facility located at Council depot, Kite Street, Longreach by appointment only.
- Treated timber, including timber light poles and “butts”
- Other hazardous items at discretion of staff.
Items not to be removed from site or sold at dump shop:
- Electrical items
- Putrescible (perishable) waste
- Items capable of injury or causing a public health/safety risk.
- Other items at discretion of staff.
Existing Waste Disposal Fees – 2018-2019 Financial Year
Asbestos Disposal: Minimum charge $275 up to 4 cubic metres. Anything over 4 cubic metres requires a quote.
|Tyres||Disposal cost per tyre|
|Light Truck/4WD tyre||$6.40|
|Super Single tyres||$26.00|
|Heavy Plant and Tractor Tyres||$37.70|
|Shredded / Cut up Tyres (per cubic metre)||$20.00|
Isisford, Ilfracombe and Yaraka Waste Disposal Facilities will continue to operate under their current access arrangements and will continue to be operated and maintained by Council. Any waste management issues concerning these facilities including the disposal of asbestos and other hazardous waste should be referred to Council’s Environmental Health Officer.
For routine inquiries including organising appointments for Asbestos disposal and Tyre disposal, please contact the PROTERRA Waste Facility Operators:
Brad Keleher 0408 964 169 or Carl Chapman 0409 771 290
For more complex matters, please contact Council's Environmental Health Officer on (07) 4658 4111 or via Email: firstname.lastname@example.org