Building Approvals

Development Approvals for Building Work must be obtained before commencing any building work (including renovations, alterations or additions to any building or structure on your property) and for the erection of carports, outdoor areas, gazebos, swimming pools and swimming pool fences, spas, retaining walls, shipping containers and the like.

This form is used to lodge Building Work applications.

Lodgement by a private certifier

Building Applications can be lodged by a Private Certifier.

Please note: On lodgement of building work documentation and notice that a Private Certifier has been engaged, LRC requires payment of fee including Archival Fee & Building Refuse Charge.

Variation to boundary setback

The boundary setback requirements for erecting a new building on your property is 6m from any road frontage (including back lanes and side roads) and 1.5m from any side boundary. If you wish to locate a building within these measurements, you are required to complete a Referral Agency Assessment Application Alternative Siting Assessment. The application will be assessed by Council's Building Certifier who will make a recommendation to Council. A decision will then be made at a Council meeting.

Certificate of Classification / Change of Classification

Since April 1976, it has been mandatory for a Certificate of Classification to be issued for all new commercial/industrial premises. Since April 1998, with the introduction of private building certification, a Certificate of Classification is required to be issued whenever a permit has been issued and works have been satisfactorily completed for new, additions or alterations to a commercial/industrial type building.

Complete a certificate of classification or change of classification for your property form.


Drowning is one of the leading causes of death in Queensland for children under five, and compliant pool fencing, along with active supervision and learning to swim, can save lives.

From 1 December 2015, all regulated Queensland swimming pools are required to meet the single swimming pool barrier standard, which has been phased in over the past five years.

Information is available on the Queensland Building and Construction Commission website to help home owners to assess their pools for compliance. Pool owners can also check the website to ensure their pool is registered.

The single standard is designed to increase pool safety and simplify pool safety laws, which previously included 11 different safety standards.

The single standard covers such things as the height and strength of barriers, mandatory non-climbable areas, gate-latching requirements and preventing direct access from a building into a pool area.

The standard applies to new and existing pools in houses, unit complexes, hotels, motels, backpacker accommodation, caravan parks and mobile van parks.

It is the responsibility of all pool owners to ensure their pools comply with the standard by 1 December, or earlier if the property is sold or leased.

For non-compliance with the pool safety standard, there is an on-the-spot fine of $824.60 for individuals and $2,356 for companies. The maximum penalty a court can impose is $19,437.

Penalties for failing to register a pool include an on-the-spot fine of $235.60 for individuals or $706.80 for companies. The court can impose a maximum penalty of $2,356. Pool owners were required to register their pools by November 2011.

Pool Fence Flyer

Pool Safety Compliance FAQ's

Request for Pool Barrier Inspection Form

Contact: For all enquiries, contact Council on (07) 4658 4111 or email

Pools and Pool Safety Laws

Longreach Regional Council urges pool owners to adhere to Pool safety laws. Pool safety laws are necessary to keep young children safe and save lives. Owners of regulated pools in Queensland must ensure their pool barrier complies with the pool safety standard. If your portable pool or spa can hold at least 300mm of water, then the pool safety laws apply.

All pools in Queensland must be registered. To list your pool on the pool safety register, visit Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC).

A pool safety certificate, issued by a licenced pool safety inspector, is required when selling or leasing a property with a pool. If leasing your home, a pool safety certificate must be obtained before entering a lease.

Longreach Regional Council has a licensed Pool Safety Inspector, who will be able to assist with any pool enquiries and can conduct pool safety inspections. Contact Council on (07) 4658 4111 to arrange an inspection.

For more information and helpful pool compliance checklists visit the QBCC website.


There are a number of laws and regulations which govern plumbing and drainage work in Queensland. If you are proposing to undertake plumbing or drainage work in the Longreach Region, you may need to gain development approval from Council and should contact the main office in the first instance on (07) 4658 4111.

Further information about Queensland's plumbing laws and codes, notifiable works, licensing and applications, sub-metering, greywater use, on-site sewerage and more can be found on the Queensland Department of Housing and Public Works website.

This form can be used to make a plumbing application.

Permits and Licenses

Longreach Regional Council is committed to maintaining the health of our environment and our quality of life. Each day our environmental health officer plans, coordinates and implements strategies to minimise adverse environmental and health impacts within our region, protecting residents, businesses and visitors.

The role of the Environmental Health Officer (EHO) is to provide a professional service that will maximise environmental and public health within a community environment by preventing and remedying health and environmental related hazards and risks.

The projects our Environmental Health Officer works on include monitoring and responding to air, noise and water pollution and pest species outbreaks, risk and emergency management, delivering quality public health services and auditing local businesses to identify health and environmental impacts, particularly the following:-

  • Food – cafes and restaurants, food trucks, market stalls, footpath dining, food safety training;
  • Pollution – air, noise and water pollution;
  • Health – asbestos, mosquitoes, rats and mice;
  • Personal Appearance – beauty, hairdressing, tattooing, body piercing and nail salons;
  • Tourism – camping and caravan parks;
  • Leisure – events, venues, busking and filming;
  • Waste – illegal dumping and littering;
  • Other business – advertising signs, home based business activities and roadside (itinerant) vending.

For further information, you may contact Council’s Environmental Health Officer on (07) 4658 4111.

If you are a developer or owner-builder, there are important Commonwealth telecommunications rules you need to comply with. Visit for more information.