Land & Pest Management

Longreach Regional Council is committed to working with landholders and the relevant state and federal government departments, to ensure the health and sustainability of agricultural lands in the region.

Property Pest Management

The Pest Management Plan for the Longreach Region has been adopted by Council to assist with the containment and eradication of established pests, whilst enforcing the Biosecurity Act 2014.

Restricted Plants and animals

Declared Plants and animals within the Region:

Bunny Ears Tree Pear Cactus    
Coral Cactus Harrisia Cactus Parkinsonia Wild Dogs
Snake Cactus Prickly Pear Cactus Mesquite Foxes
Tiger Pear Cactus Parthenium Bellyache Bush Feral Pigs
Jumping Cholla Cactus Prickly Acacia Rubber Vine Wild Cats

Plant of Significant Interest:
Sticky Florestina

If you live in town or on a property and wish to report a new weed and/or a new infestation of an existing weed, please contact our Rural Lands team via email at For any questions, please call (07) 4658 4111.

If you have cactus growing in your garden, and you would like to dispose of it, please contact our Rural Lands team; do not dispose of it in the rubbish.

Help Council Crush Cactus!

Wild Dog Control

The Longreach Region is broken up into four divisions, each division with two or more Syndicate Leaders.  Division Leaders and Syndicate Leaders work with the Landholders in their area to organise participation for each of the two annual aerial baiting rounds in the region.

Pest Animal Bounty Claim Form

To find out more information about Wild Dog Control contact our Rural Lands team on (07) 4658 4111 or email

Stock Routes & Reserves

Longreach Regional Council has an extensive Stock Route System within the Region, which contains water facilities such as dams and troughs. Council maintains the network within our region on behalf of the Department of Mine, Energy and Resources.

Under the Land Protection (Pest and Stock Management Act 2002) it is an offense to travel, agist stock, enter or take water from any of these facilities without permission from a Government body.

Landholders may apply to Council to take water from a water facility by completing and returning a Stock Route Water Facility Agreement. Information regarding Water Facilities can be found at

To move stock within the Stock Routes an Application for a Stock Route Travelling Permit must be completed and submitted to Council prior to moving stock.  For more information regarding this permit refer to

Council manages a number of Reserves within the Region which can be used for grazing stock.  To apply for a Reserve, please complete an Application for Stock Route (Grazing) Agistment Permit form and submit it to Council.

Town Commons

Longreach Region has a town common around each of its four towns that can be used for grazing purposes. To apply for agistment on any of the Town commons please complete and return to Council an Application to Agist Livestock on the Town Common Form

You may also like to refer to our current Town Common Management Plan.

Please Note

The use of Stock Routes, Town Commons and Reserves must adhere to the below Acts and Legislations:

  • Biosecurity Act 2014
  • Land Protection (Pest & Stock Management) Act 2002
  • Animal Care and Protection Act 2001
  • Enviromental Protection Act 1992
  • Nature Conservation Act 1992
  • Stock Route Management Act 2002
  • Central West Biosecurity Plan 2015
  • Health (Drugs and Poisons) Regulation 1996
  • Desert Channels Queensland Natural Resources Management Plan 2016-2020

Landholders may also like to refer to this set of Frequently Asked Questions regarding Changes to the Vegetation Management Act 1999, supplied by the Local Government Association of Queensland (LGAQ).